Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mommy Plays (ahem....Attempts to Play) Basketball

Our Basketball Team:
Amy (Tanners girlfriend), me, Jen, Kirsten, Erica, Marisa, Emily

A few high school friends and I played in a tournament in memory of our high school friend Tony Hastad. He died a few years after graduation and was a huge athlete in high school. There was the 1st Annual Tony Hastad Basketball Tournament held at my high school to raise money for a scholarship in his name. On Friday we only had 4 people on our team, but somehow we managed to get 8 teammates (3 of whom had just had babies in the last 4 months), which was still about 5 players too short! Tip-off was set for noon on Saturday and by about 12:02 I needed a sub; man am I out of shape + I hadn't played basketball for about 8 years. We lost by 4 or 6-I can't remember, but looking back it was fun! If you would've asked me during the 40 minutes of play, I would've said "NO WAY AM I DOING THIS AGAIN!" But it was a great workout, I got to see a whole bunch of high school classmates, I was interviewed on the radio and it was great honoring my dear friend!! Nora even got a shout out on KLQP our local radio station.
Some Things Learned From This Event:

1) Practice playing basketball before showing up at an event

2) Run and get in shape (don't just show up)

3) I am not as good of athlete as I once was :(

4) Nora LOVED watching all the games (Uncle Tanner played on a team with the Nordaunes)


It is never too early to start teaching kids sports so by next year Nora will have a basketball in her hands!


It was a great time and I am so glad I went back and played in the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment